Wednesday, January 24, 2018

How Social Should We Be on Social Media?

My current school’s policy on social media is to be as private as possible due to the fact that children are aged 4-14, Pre-K through 8th grades, and we respect Illinois state law concerning child safety. Therefore, we use a private platform through “My Backpack.” Here, teachers are able to communicate important information to parents by posting blogs, important letters, and other vital information such as grades or other notifications. Besides this, we also use Seesaw, which is a social networking application where teachers create a private file for each student and we can tag their children in pictures, videos, or ebooks that we create with our kids. For example, our last project was to do an interview with “Willy Wonka” in the A.V. Studio. I dressed up in a top hat and the 1st graders asked me questions as though they won a golden ticket and got to be inside my factory. We used a green screen and camera equipment, then we helped the kids push the videos on to See Saw so that they could enjoy seeing themselves next to a chocolate river, interviewing with a mic in hand. Internet tools like these have propelled student learning, as well as teacher/parent relationships in a positive way; thus, allowing us to partner in their child’s learning. No longer are students able to go home and tell their parents that they didn’t learn or do anything cool at school that day. Now, their parents are able to see what they do throughout the day and have meaningful conversations about it.

(https://dancingintheraine.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/35-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-by-roald-dahl/) 

Teachers are held accountable for protecting student information and making sure that anything posted on the web is private and password protected. We are cautioned against adding parents on social media and can definitely not add our students, unless they are no longer a part of our school and are alumni. However, as a private school there are plenty of social functions where teachers and parents are able to interact. Personally, I believe it is best to uphold a professional relationship with parents and not blur the boundaries of friendship. My mission is to teach, while also maintaining a personal life, which I would prefer people in the school community not be able to see. There are teachers that have really great relationships with parents on social media, but depending on the person, one is either public or private, or a combination of the two. I feel that I am more on the private side, only adding coworkers and students that have graduated and are over the age of 18.

(jcscocialmarketing.com)


Three guidelines that I would suggest for social media guidelines/ best practices, and my current school already follows are: sharing content on school sponsored applications only that are private and password protected, not posting any media of a child until a parent has signed a consent form and will be used on the school webpage only if included in any online advertisement, or school advancement, and lastly, making sure children are not exposed to any lewd content that the school doesn’t believe in, or coincide with their mission and school culture.
(theodysseyonline.com)


Here is a link to my school’s webpage and mission statement: https://www.catherinecookschool.org/about/mission

6 comments:

  1. You mentioned you are cautioned to not friend parents on social media. Is this a verbal command or does your school have a faculty/staff handbook where this is written? It is great to see your school website has a anti-bullying policy that is public. It would be great to see a technology policy added as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cameron,
    Thanks for posting! I totally agree that it is the teacher's responsibility to protect students while using technology in the classroom. I also follow the same personal policy about befriending former students on social media. I teach middle school and most of my students are already on social media. Not many of them want to be connected to their teachers at that age. I also will not connect to parents unless it is with my professional Twitter account. I love your Willy Wonka interview lesson! That sounds so fun for the kids! It's great how you use so much technology with younger students. I should get some tips from you on best practices for a green screen. Thanks for sharing!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cameron,

    Thanks for sharing! I have never heard of "My Backpack" sounds like an awesome tool. I love that parents can SEE what their children are doing throughout the school day. Great lesson on Willy Wonka, I'm sure your students loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea about dressing up as Willy Wonka. I am sure the kids just loved it! Some days, I get so caught up in the curriculum and the daily grind that I don't think of fun activities like this. Social media can be a wonderful resource to share these kinds of activities, but we must be knowledgeable about acceptable use policy, FERPA, and Illinois School Student Records Act, or "ISSRA”. Even though I have a professional Twitter account and am informed about student consent protections, I still feel morally uneasy about posting student photos, as these will permanently be on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that your school has so many tools so you can share information in a safe, private way online. Like Kara, I had never heard of "My Backpack". I appreciate knowing about these different resources because I'm always looking for ways to incorporate technology into my classroom. That can be a real challenge since my students don't have computers at school and aren't allowed to have their cell phones at all. I really appreciate knowing ways to communicate with parents and share information and pictures in a simple way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great that your school has a uniform policy for everyone. I agree it's better to keep the professional and personal life separate. I use Edmodo to communicate and post things for students, and the Remind App to do quick communication with parents. It seems your school is really keeping up with current technology and how to best use it with students and parents.

    ReplyDelete