Sunday, February 11, 2018

Leaving our mark on the internet: Pieces of our past

(ProfitableSocialMedia)

The internet can often prove threatening to some who have a trail of wanted-to-be-forgotten pasts, yet their digital tattoos permanently follow them. This may result in a negative digital presence and inability to appropriately connect with others because of the information previously put out there, which cannot fully be replaced even if it is erased.

While reading  from http://www.developinginnovations.org/ , I found the way students were helping others thrive, by lifting them up and promoting the wonderful successes of each other a call to action for meaningful social media change! By this, I suggest more students reach out to one another and make their thoughts regarding positive influences known. People involved in different platforms online must be aware of the impact they have on others. The Digital Citizenship Utah page uses the hashtag #usetechforgood, which is something I most certainly can get behind and start using in my own classroom and online learning place for the network obtained in my professional and personal life. The advent of new digital platforms and online forums has allowed us to grow in ways that are historically incomparable in the amount of online resources and instant, constant media at our disposal with the swipe of a finger tip. Therefore, the internet should be more positive and fruitful in regards to its content, making us more aware of what's happening around us that is not jaded by bias, fake news, and unnecessary advertising.

I hope to be able to use my blogs and online platforms for good, looking back on some of the posts and information I shared when I was young and ignorant of how information may follow me, I realize that while the internet may potentially prove harmful depending on what we share-- it is an amazing resource to us and should be used with care/caution. Not only are there things that I've posted that looking back on it, I probably shouldn't have, but there is nothing I can do besides attempt to change my online presence and be aware of what I say to others and post online. I feel that these ethics need to be shared with student so that they do not make the same mistakes. For example, after regrettably adding former students as friends I began seeing posts of them involved in precarious situations that I wish I had not. Some of these were shockingly violent or abusive as they rant about their lives or others they find distasteful, which is an example of how the internet can be abused, becoming a tool for hatred and intimidation. These pieces of my past and all of our pasts will follow us and come to represent us-- whether that be negative or positive, but after reading through the ways that students are working to empower one another and shine light on their learning, they are becoming digital leaders, working to make the digital environment a healthy one where we can thrive and share together, rather than tear each other down and distance us from productive avenues to channel our creativity.

The items and content people choose to post come to represent them like a tattoo may symbolize certain things and remind individuals of a story, or treasured belief, or icon. Posts follow us and what others have to share and say about us also remain available for others to see. We must choose how we we want to be remembered.

I have never considered how early we begin building a child's online media presence through picture sharing and other posts. Times have definitely changed, making children more vulnerable and parents more lax and flippant. When using technology in the classroom and amongst others, it is so important to be respectful, represent what you believe in and how you hope others will see you, and always promote kindness and attempt to use social media for good.

Digital Tattoos made me think about my own tattoos and why I chose to get them.

The activity that I chose to do for this week was considering my own social media privacy settings and why I have them set that way. First off, my Facebook privacy settings are private. A person must be my friend in order to scroll through the content on my page. A limited number of pictures are made available, and my bio is brief-- only revealing my location and hometown. I choose to have it this way because I don't want random people to be able to see what I post and my conversations with those on my inner circle. I also don't want students or specific coworkers to be able to see certain areas of my life because I work to uphold an heir of professionalism.

My instagram is public.  I have made it public because I only post pictures of myself, where I travel, and sometimes edible goodies. I don't see too much harm coming from viewing my golden retriever and some sweet clips I captured during an amazing concert.


3 comments:

  1. I really like your statement about informing your students of mistakes you have made via social media posts. It's such a great opportunity to show them that we make mistakes too, and learn from them. Excellent post this week, Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read the positive ways people are getting students and others involved through social media. I wish there was more of those things going on in schools. I'm glad you pointed out about parents being too relaxed posting their children on social media. I see friends with children under 10 letting them use Facebook unsupervised. They think because it's their Facebook it's ok, but they're not teaching them social media responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many interesting ideas presented here. I personally like how you honestly reflected and looked back on things you've posted in the past. I like to use instances like this to address the self as an ever-changing concept. Who we are evolves as we age. It's surprising that in a world full of so many changes, we still look at the moments of people's lives and hold them accountable for every single moment or idea they share on the internet. It's understandable, but also illogical at times. This, of course, ties into the issue of human impulse in the digital age. Impulse is even more complicated with young students. However, I think that there are plenty of adults who set bad examples of this for children. Peggy's comment above demonstrates this. Giving the students a safe place to explore social media (and tech in general) within the walls of school is something that I have begun to see as more and more necessary.

    ReplyDelete